The journey that began MaKenzi’s interest in law started in Los Angeles. She volunteered as an intern at a talent agency, was hired the next week as an assistant, and six months later was promoted to talent agent. This made her the youngest Screen Actors Guild franchised agent on either coast at age nineteen. Although not yet a lawyer, she learned legalese as she went, successfully negotiating forty-page talent contracts with networks, and broke new ground by creating a cure clause never before used by talent networks that became boilerplate terminology for most tv and film contracts today.
MaKenzi continued to advocate for actors and models and eventually transitioned from agency to management at twenty-three, becoming the CEO of a large management firm at twenty-four, and later opened her own talent management company with her sister, Marissa. To this day, Marissa carries that talent company, Triniti Management, forward with clients on film and television that you would know and recognize.
MaKenzi graduated Cum Laude from the University of Missouri-Kansas City with dual Bachelor’s degrees in Art History and Studio Art. She graduated with honors from UMKC School of Law with her Juris Doctor after providing over 200 hours of free legal work for domestic abuse victims in Kansas City. MaKenzi also worked with the Urban Development Team at Legal Aid of Western Missouri, aiding Mayor Sly James’ goal of urban revitalization of abandoned and debilitated properties in Kansas City, MO. MaKenzi was named the top Oralist at the Ellison Moot Court Competition at the Federal Courthouse in Jackson County, MO and received a cash award for her excellent appellate advocacy skills during her legal training.
Ms. Higgins is an openly queer attorney, and works diligently representing all persons under the law with a unique understanding of how people’s differences make them amazingly different, but also how that can affect the way the law and opposing parties may see them. Fierce advocacy is the cornerstone of MaKenzi’s personal practice philosophy and she stands ready to fight for clients who need assertive, but diligent representation, always leaning towards settling things where she can for the benefit of her clients, or fighting for their legal rights and goals when agreements cannot be reached.
Ms. Higgins has also consulted for dental practices and enjoys speaking all across the country on a variety of legal and dental issues. MaKenzi is an advocate, wife, widow, sister, daughter, friend, and most importantly the mother of three beautiful children and multiple fur-babies.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Landlord/Tenant Law
- Corporations and Business Organizations
- Family Law including Modifications
- Domestic Litigation
- Dental and Medical Transactional Law
- Dental Practice Administration
- Redemption Rights
- Limited Actions
- Grandparent’s Rights
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- University of Missouri – Kansas City, Dispute Resolution Center Doctorate with Honors
- University of Missouri – Kansas City, Bachelor of Arts in Art History -Cum Laude with Honors
- University of Missouri – Kansas City, Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art -Cum Laude with Honors
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Johnson County Family Law Inn of Court (Executive Council)
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association (YLD Awards/Subgrants Judge)
- Succession Planning
- Ethics in Dental Dispute Resolution Centerprudence
- The Ethics of Dental Implant Case Selection
- Best Practices for Dental Practice Administration
- Real Estate Contract: Negotiations and Avoiding Pitfalls